Measuring the Energy Performance of Your Windows
There are many reasons you may decide to replace your windows. For instance, your living room needs more light or your kitchen needs additional ventilation. While these are some of the common reasons, the main reason often boils down to lack of energy efficiency.
You can do different things to minimize the risk of energy loss in your home. One of the most effective ways is by installing energy saving windows in Lubbock, TX. You can tell that a window is energy-efficient if it has the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC). Let Jones & Associates discuss with you what this label means and the actual ratings used by the NFRC in determining energy efficiency.
The NFRC Label
The NFRC gauges energy efficiency by considering a number of factors, such as air leakage and solar heat gain. Here are the ratings they use in determining a window’s energy efficiency:
• U-Factor – This rating indicates the ability of windows to prevent heat loss. The lower the score, the better a window is at keeping heat in.
• Solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) – This determines how efficient a window is at blocking heat. Lower ratings also indicate better efficiency, like the U-factor.
• Air leakage – This tells the amount of air allowed to pass through a window. Products with a lower rating are tighter than those with a higher rating.
• Visible transmittance – This determines the amount of light that enters your window. If your window has a high visible transmittance rating, it allows more light in.
• Light-to-solar gain (LSG) – Although this is not always provided by the NFRC, this rating is still important. It indicates the amount of light transmitted without blocking heat gains.
Our Energy-Efficient Windows
Our windows at Jones & Associates contain the NFRC label, assuring you of superior energy efficiency. With the combination of Low-E glass and insulated frames, our energy saving windows in Odessa, TX, can keep your home comfortable under different conditions. They can also reduce your energy bills, as you won’t have to rely heavily on your utility systems to boost comfort.
If you need help with your windows and other home improvement projects, turn to Jones & Associates. Call us at (806) 686-1380 today to schedule a FREE consultation.