Happy Valentine’s Day: Some fun facts
Sixty-two percent of Americans celebrate Valentine’s Day. How do they observe it? Take a look at these statistics:
• Chocolate. Americans buy 58 million pounds of chocolate during the week of Valentine’s Day, spending $448 million.
• Cards. We buy about 150 million “Will you be my Valentine?” cards each year.
• Gifts. Men spend an average of $150 on cards and gifts; women spend an average of $74.
• Flowers. Twenty-three percent of us buy flowers or plants as Valentine’s Day gifts: 61 percent of these buyers are men, and 39 percent are women. The top choice? A mixed bouquet, followed by red roses.
• Champagne. Americans buy 174,000 gallons of sparkling wine through Valentine’s week, worth about $8.6 million.